Tips by a Surbiton Dentist for Healthy Teeth and Gums
Dental hygiene is of utmost importance for the complete well-being of our body. Research studies have shown poor oral hygiene to be linked to various diseases like stroke, heart disease and diabetes. It has also been proven that poor oral health can lead to low birth weight babies in pregnant women.
These are some tips given by a well-known Surbiton dentist to protect your teeth and gums;
1. Brushing – There is no short cut to this tip. It is very important to brush everyday in the morning and at bedtime. Take time to brush and do not make it a hurried affair. The correct brushing technique goes a long way in protecting your teeth and gums from harmful oral bacteria that cause plaque, cavities, dental caries and other forms of tooth decay.
2. Diet and lifestyle – Consume foodstuffs that cause minimum damage to your teeth. Excess consumption of soft drinks causes corrosion of the tooth enamel. Eating ice cubes and popcorn kernels can also damage your teeth. Do not drink tea or coffee too hot or too cold as this will cause excessive staining and discolouration of the teeth.
3. Flossing – Flossing regularly with a good dental floss helps to remove plaque deposits.
4. Smoking – This causes staining and discolouration and smokers are also more prone to developing gum diseases.
5. Medications – Many drugs also cause tooth and gum diseases as a side-effect.
6. Regular check-up – Routine dental check-ups can detect tooth decay or gum diseases in the initial stage itself and appropriate treatment can be followed.
Take good care of your teeth and gums for a healthy and beautiful smile.